Who are we?
Our work is guided by a vision and mission that enable us to build a strong scientific foundation for better understanding the complex dynamics of people and the planet
Our vision is a thriving and resilient biosphere that enables well-being for all.
Our mission is to:
• advance the scientific understanding of the complex, dynamic interactions of people and nature in the biosphere,
• train the next generation of sustainability researchers and leaders
• engage in collaborations with change agents.
Values and practices
Our vision and mission are accompanied by a set of underlying principles, as well as a collection of values and practices that guide the work culture:
• people and nature are deeply intertwined, co-evolve, and behave as complex adaptive systems
• many patterns, processes and dynamics of the Anthropocene are novel and must be better understood
• Biosphere stewardship can enable transformation towards resilient, sustainable, and just futures
Organizational values and practices that define our working culture:
• scientific rigor and integrity underpin all our work
• a collaborative, trust-based and creative working culture enables us to achieve impact
• learning, experimentation and reflection are promoted in all our activities
• diversity, inclusion, and care are principles championed across the organization